This recipe combines all of my favourite things; avocado, matcha, cacao butter, ginger and honey. These super rich avocado matcha truffles are the perfect little after dinner treat. As someone with a massive sweet tooth, all I needed was one of these little suckers to satisfy my sweet craving. With minimal ingredients and super quick to whip up, these are the perfect late night sweet treat, and hey, it’s St Patrick’s Day, so there’s that too.
Hey strangers! This wasn’t intended to be a green-food-for-saint-patrick’s-day-post, but here we are. I think one of the main reasons I haven’t posted here in awhile is because it’s been so damn dark/cold/wintery. I go into full on hibernation mode in the winter. Once the sun goes down, I need to be wrapped in a blanket on the couch. The other day was my favourite day of the entire year – Daylight Savings. Some people hate losing that hour of sleep, but for me this day brings with it not only light, but the reminder that warmer temperatures are soon to follow. Sure the first day of spring is technically next week and don’t get me wrong, this is a very important day for me and all of my fellow hibernators. But, the day when we get that extra hour of sunlight puts a little bit more of a pep in my step, one extra hour before the couch snuggling begins. Last night I was driving home at 7:30 and it was still light out and I had the biggest smile on my face. Ok winter, we get it, you’re cold and wet and icy and mean and gross and we are over it. BYE.
I’ve been wanting to make a matcha-cacao butter combo dessert for awhile and this is what I came up with. It’s sweet, but the matcha-cacao combo gives it an almost cooling minty taste. When I asked the BF if he liked them, he said they were “neat”… wtf does that mean? Anyway, I think he liked them because he ate the majority of them. Grrrrrr.
Recently I was reading Jordan Younger’s blog, “The Balanced Blonde” and she wrote a post of 20 random things about her. Remember back in the day when we used to post all that kind of stuff and send out surveys like that to friends? I used to love that shit! I have posted some personal things on the blog, but not so much recently and not all the minute details of my life so I thought it would be fun to add a little 20 random things about me to this post. Scroll down to the bottom to check it out! Oh and the avocado matcha truffles, check them out too.
avocado matcha truffles
2 oz cacao butter (this is a kind of a guess, it was about a palm-sized hunk)
1/2 an avocado
1 tsp matcha powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of sea salt
optional: crystallized ginger
Melt cacao butter and coconut oil in a double boiler (I used a small metal bowl over a pot of boiling water). Mash avocado with a fork (or immersion blender to whip it up). Add all ingredients into bowl and whisk together. Pour into measuring cup with a spout to make it easy to pour into a mold (I used a silicon ice cube tray I bought at the dollar store). I added a small piece of crystallized ginger to half and left the rest plain. Before pouring the liquid, make sure to give it a good stir so the avocado doesn’t settle at the bottom. Carefully pour the liquid into the mold and then place into the freezer to harden, about 30 minutes to an hour. Make sure they are completely solidified before trying to pop them out… unlike me who couldn’t wait and they all looked a little busted. Store in the fridge.
This recipe made 18 little truffles, but half of those had crystallized ginger chunks in them, so the results may vary.
20 random facts about me…
- I’m left-handed
- I’m a certified yoga instructor and have been practicing for 12 years
- I taught English in South Korea… to children… for real
- I have two Himalayan kitties named Muffin and Piggy that are both rescues I got off kijiji
- My favourite animals are goats
- My dream is to live on a farm and have alpacas (and goats, of course)
- I’ve been with my BF for 6 years (that picture of me is courtesy of his amazing photography skills… :S)
- I studied abroad in Australia during university
- Last year I moved from downtown Toronto to the country (more on that in my next post)
- I didn’t own a car until I was almost 30
- My favourite place in the world is my family cottage close to Algonquin park
- I’m a super introverted/sensitive/empath
- In university I studied sociology and business administration
- I still get ID’d all the time, guess it’s all the yoga and healthy eating!
- My favourite records to listen to on Saturday night are blues and motown
- My non-healthy addictions are Boulder Canyon salt and vinegar chips and mini eggs (only at Easter 🙂 )
- My favourite TV show ever is Happy Endings (RIP)
- In my whiskey drinking days my nickname was “Ragel” – haha!
- I have had a million jobs, including my first job – working at McDonalds (!!)
- I am now doing my dream job!
Got anymore random questions? Ask me anything below 🙂